Sunday, March 22, 2009
On The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, President Obama said, "We need young people, instead of -- a smart kid coming out of school, instead of wanting to be an investment banker, we need them to decide if they want to be an engineer, they want to be a scientist, they want to be a doctor or a teacher. And if we are rewarding those kind of things that actually contribute to making things and making people's lives better -- that's going to put our economy on solid footing. We won't have this kind of bubble and burst with the economy that we have gotten so caught up with in the last several years."
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Sunday, March 01, 2009
Memorable quotes from Lecture 2 of SMA 5503, attributed to Erik D Demaine.
- I have a feeling, by the end of the lecture, this blackboard will be totally stink.
- This is, again, divine inspiration. And, if you have a good connection to some divinity, you are all set. But it is a little bit harder for the rest of us mere mortals.
- It usually just works. That's the great thing about it. It provides you intuition for free. It tells you what the answer is pretty much.
- There are three kinds of mathematicians, those who can add and those who cannot, and I am the latter kind so I need your help.
- And, if we believe in fate and we see this three number recurrence, we know that we have the right answer.