Photosynth takes a large collection of photos of a place or object, analyzes them for similarities, and displays them in a reconstructed 3-Dimensional space.
Don't miss out the video demo. (Currently, there is no application for you to download yet.)
With Photosynth you can:
- Walk or fly through a scene to see photos from any angle.
- Seamlessly zoom in or out of a photograph whether it’s megapixels or gigapixels in size.
- See where pictures were taken in relation to one another.
- Find similar photos to the one you’re currently viewing.
- Explore a custom tour.
- Send a collection to a friend.
Anyway, if this idea takes off... (it will if there is enough support from the bosses at Microsoft), we can be sure that its going to be cooler than Google Earth. Talk about phototourism.